foodservice Bites

Domino's Pizza, Grubhub and the foodservice market in 2020

Dear Reader,

Our weekly newsletter covers noteworthy and curious news from the international hospitality business. Find out what we've discovered about Domino's Pizza, Grubhub and Leon. Also, take a look at our market research on the foodservice market in 2020.

Enjoy reading!
Your foodservice Bites team

Market Research

The performance of the foodservice market
The performance during the first two months of 2020 was not too bad for the foodservice market. Customer traffic grew by +1.0% in January and February combined vs. the previous year. Another +1.4% came from growing average eater cheques so that total consumer spend grew by +2.3%. Strongest growth came from Germany with +3.7% spent, smallest in France with +1.4%.


Domino's reports like-for-like plus in the USA
Even with a significant number of stores closed, the pizza chain managed an increase of 1 % of its like-for-like sales in the period between 24th February and 22nd March. (Approx. reading time: 2 min.)

Yum! Brands gives bonus to store managers
Each general manager in a company-owned store will receive a bonus of $1,000. The money will be taken from the forgone salary of CEO David Gibbs. (Approx. reading time: 2 min.)

Leon supports NHS workers in the UK
The crowdfunding campaign 'Feed the NHS' led by celebrities and the natural fast food chain Leon, has passed the halfway milestone days after its launch. The aim: to feed 6,000 NHS workers one hot meal a day. (Approx. reading time: 2 min.)


How to launch a drinks to go offer
The Morning Advertiser offers pub and bar operators a little guide on what and how to sell their drinks for consumption at home. (Approx. reading time: 5 min.)

How the corona virus is shaping the foodservice industry
The second update from Technomic takes a look at economic projections and restaurant adaptations for dine-in alternatives, (Approx. reading time: 5 min.)

Carluccio's goes into administration
The UK-based restaurant chain is preparing to file for administration amidst the corona virus crisis. Their staff will only be paid 50% of their wages for the month. (Approx. reading time: 4 min.)


Grubhub's latest offer makes restaurants pay the bill
The 'supper for support' promotion offers Gruhub customers a discount of $10 on orders of $30 or more. The problem: The price of the discount falls to restaurants. (Approx. reading time: 3 min.)

Demand for home-delivery recipe boxes puts companies under stress
UK-based companies such as Pasta Evangelists, Gousto and Mindful Chef have seen an unprecedentend spike in demand in the last month. (Approx. reading time: 5 min.)

By the way

Cooking inspirations via Instagram
With their restaurants closed, a handful of chefs take to instagram to inspire their viewers how to cook a simple meal. (Approx. reading time: 3 min.)

If you would like to read more in-depth stories from the international hospitality business, take a look at our trade journal for the Horeca sector foodservice Europe & Middle East.  Read now!